Star left-handed opening batter of Indian Women Cricket team, Smriti Mandhana is a special talent who with her calm and elegant batting style not only collected praise for herself in the cricket world but also inspired thousands of emerging cricketers, once an admirer of Mathew Hayden and Kumar Sangakkara has now become the inspiration of young women cricketers, from dreaming to play like her elder brother some day to scoring magnificent hundred at international level her life has many shades and here is a brief biography of Smriti.
Childhood and Early Life of Smriti Mandhana:
Smriti Shrinivas Mandhana was born on July 18, 1996, in Mumbai, Maharashtra, to Smita (her mother) and Srinivas Mandhana (her father). When she was just two years old, her family moved to Sangli, Maharashtra. Her father, Srinivas Mandhana, also played cricket at district level and couldn’t continue his journey to play India, but his children went on to walk the same path of cricket. Smriti’s elder brother, Shravan, also started playing cricket when he was young and played cricket at district level.
Smriti Mandhana was inspired by his brother and started training in nets with him. She used to practice with him, and her father later took the command to train her in the early days. As she got better, she went on to play it professionally.
Cricket Career of Smriti Mandhana:
When she was just 9 years old she was included in the Maharashtra’s U-15 squad and then in the U-19 squad when she turned 11 though she didn’t get to play in his initial 2 years she practiced well to take her game to next level and later in a match against Gujarat in 2013 she scored her maiden double hundred in first class cricket where she scored 224 runs in 150 balls becoming the first woman cricketer to do so. Her performance landed her in the India Red team for the Women’s Challenger trophy and helped her team to win the trophy by defeating Indian Blue.
Seeing her consistent performance in domestic cricket It was just a matter of time till her first international call-up from the Indian team, and it was April 5th, 2013 when she made her T20I debut against Bangladesh. In her first match, she scored 39 runs, and India won that match. She scored her first T20I half-century in 2014 against South Africa. In 2019, Smriti scored the fastest fifty for India Women’s against New Zealand in just 24 balls.
Smriti had her Test debut in 2014 against England and scored 22 runs in her first inning. She scored 50 runs in her second inning, and India went on to claim victory over England for only the second time in history. Later in 2021, she scored her first test century in a one-off test match against Australia.
She made her ODI debut just after some days of her T20I debut and scored 25 runs in her first match, later in 2016 when India were taking on Australia for a home away series she scored her first ODI century making her the first Indian Women’s cricketer to score fifty and a century in Australia. She was also the part of 2017 Women’s World Cup squad where India lost the final by just 9 runs.
Read More: Sanju Samson Biography| Wife| Net Worth
Franchise Cricket: BBL, WPL.
Big Bash League: Smriti and Harmanpreet Kaur both signed for the Women’s BBL, where Smriti played for the Brisbane Heat, but her performance wasn’t up to the mark as she scored just 89 runs in her 10 matches. In 2018-19, when she signed to play for the Hobart Hurricanes, she played in her natural way as an opener and scored 318 runs in the 13 matches she played. She was the second highest scorer from her team in that BBL season.
Women’s Premier League: In the inaugural season of the Women’s Cricket League, she was inducted into the team after getting the highest bid of Rs 3.4 crore and led the Royal Challengers Bangalore in that season.
What is the Net Worth of Smriti Mandhana?
Being an A-grade cricketer and one of the known faces of Indian women’s cricket, Smriti Mandhana has a net worth of around INR 30 crores, or $3.5 million, which includes her salary from the BCCI, brand endorsements, investments in various businesses, etc.
Some Interesting and unknown facts about Smriti Mandhana:
- Smriti was selected for the Maharashtra U-15 squad when she was just 9 years old.
- She played for the U-19 Maharashtra team when she was 11 years old.
- She made her debut for India when she was just 16 years old in 2013.
- She is the fastest Indian women cricketer to hit a half-century, she hit fifty in just 24 balls against New Zealand in 2019.
- Smriti was bestowed with the Arjuna Award in 2019.
- She wore jersey number 18 on his back, which is also the jersey number of Virat Kohli.
- Her brother and father were also district-level cricketers.
- In 2016, she was one of the Indian women cricketers to sign for the Women’s Big Bash League (the Australian T20 league).
Question 1: Who is the boyfriend of Smriti Mandhana?
Answer 1: Smriti Mandhana is in a relationship with the famous singer Palak Muchhal’s brother, Palash Muchhal, who is an Indian Music composer.
Question 2: What is the height of Smriti Mandhana?
Answer 2: Smriti Mandhana’s height is 5 feet, 4 Inches.
Question 3: What are the hobbies of Smriti Mandhana?
Answer 3: In her free time, she loves playing video games, or BGMI.
Question 4: Is Smriti Mandhana vegetarian?
Answer 4: Yes, Smriti Mandhana is vegetarian, and to complete her protein requirement, she includes soy and Protein Shakes in her diet.
- Aiden Markram Leads South Africa Squad Against India: Squad RevealedDiscover the dynamic South Africa squad gearing up to face India in T20s, ODIs, and Tests. Get to know the players, captains, and the buzz around the upcoming cricket series.
- West Indies broke England’s comeback hope in the ODI CricketShai Hope’s inspired century, guided by advice from MS Dhoni, propels West Indies to chase down 325 against England.
- What Is Net Run Rate In Cricket And How It Is Calculated?Calculating the net run rate is an excellent method to get to the conclusion of who is the best performer in the number of matches played.